Home » Chicken Pizza Roll
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes: 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
1 kilo chicken breast, butterflied and pounded to flattened
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
220 grams mozzarella cheese, into thick strips
1 cup pepperoni slices
¼ cup mushrooms, minced
¼ cup red bell peppers, minced
¼ cup white onions, minced
1 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup parmesan cheese
1/8 cup parsley, minced
cooking oil for cooking
1 large can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes*
1 medium white onion, peeled and halved
2 large cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2. In a big bowl, mix the flour, parmesan cheese, parsley flakes, salt, and pepper and set aside.
3. Prep your eggs in a bowl by whisking it and set aside.
4. Take your butterflied and flattened chicken fillet and season it with salt and pepper, Italian seasoning and lemon juice and let marinate for about 10 – 15 minutes.
5. When ready, place a chicken fillet on a flattened surface and put a layer of pepperoni slices, mushrooms, white onions, and bell peppers and mozzarella strips.
6. Roll the chicken fillet to form a roulade. Repeat the procedure with the other fillets until you’ve finished up all your ingredients.
7. Assemble your work station by placing the flour mixture on one side, the bowl of beaten eggs beside it and your plate of roulade beside it.
8. Take the roulade, dip and roll it in the flour mixture until completely covered, and then dip it in the egg and dip it back again in the flour mixture and put it back on the plate. Repeat procedure until done.
9. Place the roulade on a baking pan lined with baking paper and greased and bake for about 30 minutes.
1. In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the tomatoes (with their juices), halved onion, garlic cloves, olive oil, and oregano.
2. Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-high heat, then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of oil float free of the tomatoes. Stir occasionally, and use a sturdy wooden spoon to crush the tomatoes against the side of the pot after about 15 minutes has passed.
3. Remove the pot from the heat and discard the onion. Smash the garlic cloves against the side of the pot with a fork, then stir the smashed garlic into the sauce. Do the same with any tiny onion pieces you might find. Use the wooden spoon to crush the tomatoes to your liking (you can blend this sauce smooth with an immersion blender or stand blender if desired).
4. Add salt, to taste. Serve warm with the chicken pizza roll