Makes 6 to 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes
3 tablespoons cooking oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
4 stalks tanglad, cut in 1 inch length and pounded
1 whole chicken, cut into serving pcs
1 tablespoon patis
Black pepper to taste
1 cup red bell pepper
1½ cups young coconut meat
3 cups young coconut water
2 cups chicken broth
1 small green papaya, wedged
1 cup sili leaves
Whole, hollowed-out buko for serving
- Heat cooking oil. Fry chicken pieces until golden brown and set aside.
- In the same pot, saute onion and garlic. Add ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken back. Season with patis
- Add young coconut water, chicken broth, tanglad and papaya. Allow to boil for 30 minutes.
- Mix in red bell pepper and young coconut meat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the sili leaves and cook for a minute more.
- Turn the heat off, and then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve with steamed rice.