Makes 10 to 14 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
1/4 cup powdered gelatin
2 1/3 cups water
2 1/3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons chocolate flavor concentrate
Cocoa powder, for dusting
1. In a mixing bowl, combine powdered gelatin and 1/3 of the water. Set aside. This will allow the gelatin to bloom.
2. In a saucepan, mix concentrate, sugar, and the remaining water. Bring to a boil until the temperature of the mixture reaches 220F.
3. Switch on electric mixer. Using paddle attachment, gently pour the hot sugar mixture into the gelatin mixture until mixed thoroughly.
4. Once the sugar mixture and gelatin mixture are completely combined, change to wire whisk attachment and whisk at high speed for 10 to 15 minutes. When the mixture is fluffy, add food color, salt, and chocolate flavor. Whisk until light and fluffy.
5. Dust with sifted cocoa powder.
For more recipes, Modern Philippine Confections by Chef Gene Gonzalez is available for P195 in National Book Store, Powerbooks, and online at www.anvilpublishing.com.