Home » Cheesy Chicken Pastel Rice Pie
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 6 to 10 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
3 cups cooked rice (steamed preferred but optional)
½ cup wansuy, finely chopped
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 pieces eggs, beaten
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup cheese, grated
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ cup chorizo, diced
½ cup red onions, diced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
½ cup red bell peppers
¾ kilo chicken thigh fillet, cut into bite-sized pieces
½ cup sliced mushrooms
½ cup carrots, cut into small dice
½ cup canned water chestnuts, halved
3 cups chicken broth
Broth from Vienna sausages
1½ cups evaporated milk
3 cups all-purpose cream
½ cup green peas
2 cups Vienna sausage, chopped
1 cup pineapple chunks
1½ cups cheese, grated
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup quickmelt cheese, grated
½ cup parmesan cheese
¾ cup breadcrumbs
½ cup parsley, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. In a bowl, combine rice, wansuy, lime juice, eggs, ground black pepper, and half of the cheese until well combined.
3. Lightly grease a pie dish / spring-form pan and line the bottom and sides with an even layer of the rice mixture, pressing hard enough that the rice is firm against the bottom and sides. Make sure the sides are tall.
4. Sprinkle cheese all over the crust. Bake for 20 minutes until all the cheese has melted.
5. Remove from oven and set aside.
1. In a bowl, combine both cheeses, parsley, and breadcrumbs until well combined and everything is evenly dispersed.
1. In a large pan over medium heat, place butter and oil.
2. Add chorizo and sauté for a few minutes until toasted and rendered some of its oil.
3. Add onions, garlic, and bell pepper then sauté until aromatic.
4. Add the chicken pieces in an even layer to brown one side before flipping.
5. Add mushrooms, carrots and chestnuts and continue cooking for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add chicken broth, broth from Vienna sausages, evaporated milk, and all-purpose cream. Bring to a boil then simmer for a few minutes.
7. Add green peas, Vienna sausages, and pineapple chunks. Bring back to a boil.
8. Mix in cheese and simmer until thickened into a chick sauce. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Remove from heat.
1. Pour the filling into the rice crust. Fill until the top, leaving 1/2 inch for the topping.
2. Sprinkle a thin layer of the toppings throughout the top.
3. Bake for about 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to set for 20 minutes.
4. Slice and serve.