PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 4 to 8 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
2 cups chicken thigh fillet, diced
2 tablespoons calamansi juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/3 cup chorizo, chopped
1 tablespoons butter
1/8 cup red onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup carrot, finely diced
1/3 cup green peas
1/3 cup mushrooms, finely sliced
¼ cup evaporated milk
8 pieces puff pastry squares
½ cup monggo seeds (for blind baking)
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/3 cup quickmelt cheddar cheese, grated
1. Marinate chicken in calamansi juice and soy sauce for 15 minutes.
2. In a pan over medium heat, fry chicken and chorizo pieces until light brown. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan, melt butter. Toss in minced onions and garlic and saute until fragrant. Add flour and stir until light brown.
4. Add chicken broth and whisk while bringing to a boil. Add chicken and chorizo then season with salt and pepper.
5. Add carrots, green peas, and mushrooms.
6. Slowly pour in evaporated milk while stirring. Allow chicken pastel to reduce then turn off heat and set aside.
1. In a greased muffin tray, position puff pastry squares to form cups. Prick the puff pastry, then place 1-2 teaspoons of monggo in the cavity to blind bake (This will prevent the pastry from rising in the cavity and ensuring there will be space for the filling later).
2. In a preheated oven, bake puff pastries at 150 degrees C for 10 mins or until they have risen slightly and turned golden. Remove from oven, separate the monggo seeds, and allow puff pastries to rest for 5 minutes.
3. Fill each puff pastry cavity with 2-3 teaspoons of chicken pastel. Sprinkle quickmelt cheese on top and return to oven to bake for 20 minutes.
4. Allow pies to rest for about 5 minutes then serve to hungry guests!