Makes 4 to 6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
1 pack large lumpia wrapper
½ kilo of lean ground beef
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
3 tablespoons white onions, minced
½ cup grated carrots
3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon yellow mustard – optional
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce – optional
3 tablespoons pickle relish
1 cup lola rosa lettuce, shredded
1 cup tomatoes, cored and sliced into strips
1 pack cheddar cheese slices
1 egg beaten
1/8 cup sesame seeds
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying
1. In a large pan on medium fire, heat oil and then saute garlic and onions until aromatic. Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes or until beef is cooked all the way through.
2. Add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato ketchup and mustard and continue cooking for about 2 more minutes before taking out from the heat.
3. Cool down the cooked beef in a bowl before adding the shredded lettuce (for it to wilt for easier rolling) and pickle relish.
4. Before rolling the lumpia make sure you have your lumpia wrapper, cooked ground beef, cheddar cheese slices, beaten egg, and sesame seeds ready.
5. Take one wrapper and place the cheddar cheese slice in the middle. Add about 1 – 2 tbsp of the ground pork mix and about 2- 3 pcs of the sliced tomatoes and roll the lumpia. Use the egg wash to seal the lumpia.
6. Brush the entire lumpia roll with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
7. Prepare oil for deep frying. Once oil is hot enough drop the lumpia pcs and quickly take out from the heat once its golden brown.
8. You can opt to serve it with ranch dressing or mayonnaise dip.