Makes 3-4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
½ kilo beef shank
Ground black pepper
4 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons garlic, minced
8 cups water
3 pieces large white onion, quartered
2 strands leeks, chopped
1 tablespoon peppercorns
2 tablespoons patis
1 tablespoon salt
4 cups fresh lomi noodles
2 pieces eggs, beaten
½ head pechay Baguio
1 cup Baguio beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup carrots, cut into thin strips
½ head cabbage, chopped
7 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in ¼ cup water (cornstarch slurry)
Pork liver, boiled and sliced
Kikiam, fried and sliced
Squidballs, fried and sliced
Spring onions, chopped
Garlic, minced and toasted
1. Lightly season the beef with salt and ground black pepper.
2. In a pot or pressure cooker, fry the minced garlic in vegetable oil until golden and crispy then sear the beef shanks on all sides until the meat is an even brown color. Add enough water to completely cover the meat and bring it to a boil. Skim off any excess fat and scum that might have accumulated on top.
3. Add the white onions and let it cook in the pot or pressure cooker for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Skim off more excess fat and scum that might have accumulated on top.
4. Add the leeks and peppercorns and bring to a boil, then add the patis and salt. Let it continue to simmer in the pot or pressure cooker on low heat until meat is tender.
5. Remove meat and allow to cool. Quickly dip fresh lomi noodles into broth to cook. Set aside.
6. Add beaten eggs and mix until well combined. Add pechay baguio, baguio beans, carrots, and cabbage. Stir in cornstarch slurry until thickened.
1. Serve lomi noodles and soup in a bowl, topped with beef shanks, sliced pork liver, kikiam, squidballs, chicharon, toasted garlic, and spring onions. Happy eating!