Makes 4 to 6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
1/2 cup young coconut juice
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup white sugar
2 cups young coconut, shredded
½ cup sago, cooked
¼ cup flour
12 pieces puff pastry sheets
1 egg white
Cooking oil for deep frying
1. In a bowl, mix coconut juice and cornstarch until well combined and smooth.
2. In a saucepan, combine heavy cream and sugar over medium heat until it simmers and sugar is completely dissolved.
3. Add shredded coconut and bring to a simmer whilst constantly stirring.
4. Continuously stir and gradually add the coconut juice and cornstarch mixture until thick.
5. Add sago. Set aside to cool.
1. On a lightly floured surface, set out a puff pastry sheet. Use a rolling pin to flatten into a rectangular shape.
2. Add 2 teaspoons of the buko filling and fold over the puff pastry sheet. Use egg white wash to seal the pie on all sides. Using a fork, score the edges of the pie.
3. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Let the pastries cool and serve!