Makes 15 to 20 pieces
Preparation and cooking time: 1 1/2 hours
2 cups cassava, grated
1 cup sugar
2 cups coconut water
½ teaspoon reduced baking soda*
1 teaspoon buko pandan essence
1 cup coconut, grated
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 cup coconut strips
*Reduced baking soda: 1/4 tsp baking soda boiled in 1 cup water for 5 minutes
1. In a bowl, mix the cassava, sugar, coconut water, and reduced baking soda until well combined.
2. Half the contents and place on another bowl. Mix in buko pandan essence to the batch.
3. Pour in oiled individual cup molds and place in a steamer. Steam for 45 minutes to 1 hour until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the molds come out clean.
4. Allow the steamed pichi-pichi to cool down at least 15 minutes in the fridge then remove from the molds.
5. Roll the each piece over the grated coconut.
In a small pot, mix the coconut milk, sugar, and coconut strips until reduced.
2. Pour sauce over Pichi-Pichi.