Makes 1 tray
Preparation and cooking time: 4 hours
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 ½ cups crushed graham crackers
Pinch of rock salt
8 pieces egg yolks
¾ cup condensed milk
½ tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup cream
3 tablespoons butter
8 pieces egg whites
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
Mantecado ice cream
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven at 135 degrees Celsius.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together melted butter, crushed graham crackers, and a pinch or two of salt.
- After, transfer to your serving or molding dish. Press down until it is flat and even. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a double-boiler, beat egg yolks, condensed milk, vanilla extract, and cream. Keep whisking until thick. Once velvety, take off from heat and whisk in butter. Set aside and let cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar together. Add confectioner’s sugar in batches, all the while beating it with the mixer on high speed. Keep beating until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer to a baking dish, flatten, and bake at 135 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes. Once cooked, set aside and cool.
- Add a layer of Mantecado ice cream on top of the prepared graham crust and then freeze for 1 hour. Add a layer of cooled custard next, and then freeze for 1 hour again. Finally, add cooled meringue (cut to fit you serving or molding dish) and dust with confectioner’s sugar. Freeze for at least 3 hours before cutting to serve.