PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 10 to 15 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1.5 hour
1 piece pork lungs
1 piece pork heart
¾ kilo pork liver
3 pieces lemongrass bulb, smashed
3 pieces ginger, thumb-sized and smashed
3 tablespoons strong colored atsuete oil
⅓ cup garlic, minced
¼ cup ginger, finely minced
1½ cup red onion, minced
4 pieces bay leaves
1 cup tomatoes, diced
5 pieces siling labuyo, chopped
3 tablespoons fish sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
1 cup carrot, diced small
1 cup labanos, diced small
3/4 cup vinegar
1½ tablespoons ground black pepper
1. In a large pot, place the pork heat, pork lungs, and pork liver with the smashed ginger, lemongrass, and enough water to barely cover everything. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and chop into small pieces.
2. In a large and wide pot / wok, sauté garlic and ginger in atsuete oil for a few minutes, until slightly fried. Add onions and bay leaves then continue sautéing until onions are softened.
3. Add the chopped meat, tomatoes, and siling labuyo and sauté for a few minutes.
4. Mix in the ground black pepper, fish sauce, and soy sauce. Continue cooking with occasional stirring until dry and getting slightly fried.
5. Add carrots and labanos. Continue stir-frying for a few minutes, scraping the bottom to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom. Add ½ cup of atsuete water if more color is desired.
6. Add vinegar and allow to boil without stirring until the vinegar smell has disappeared. Season with more black pepper.
7. Stir and cook for a few more minutes. Serve hot.