Home » Bistek Mami
PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 2 to 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
1 pack mami noodles
1 kilo beef brisket, trimmed
½ kilo beef soup bones
10 – 12 cups water
4 pieces head of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
3 pieces white onion, halved
1 piece ginger, 1-inch, peeled and sliced
3 pieces bay leaf
¼ cup fish sauce
1 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
salt, to taste
1/3 cup calamansi juice
1/8 cup chopped green onions
1/8 cup thinly sliced white onions (into rings)
2 tablespoons fried garlic bits
1. Boil flat rice noodles until soft. Strain and set aside.
2. Roast or grill the onions, garlic, and ginger for a few minutes until charred.
3. In a large pot or pressure cooker, place the beef and bones and boil for 10 minutes. Strain and rinse meat and bones well under running water.
4. Return bones and beef to cleaned pot / pressure cooker. Add enough water to cover everything and add the grilled onions, garlic, and ginger. Bring to a boil then simmer. Remove any scum that appears.
5. Boil for about 3 hours or until meat is tender.
6. Add flavoring ingredients; bay leaf, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and salt. Simmer over low heat for another 15 – 30 minutes to develop the flavor. Take out from heat.
7. Place flat rice noodles in a bowl, spoon over broth, and top with beef slices, white onion slices, green onions, fried garlic, and drizzle calamansi juice to add flavor.
Liked this creative take on Filipino Bistek? Here’s another noodle soup with a Pinoy twist that you will love: Bicol Express Ramen!