PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 4 – 6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
For the Chicken:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ kilo chicken leg and thighs, cleaned properly and left whole
2 tbsp salt to season chicken pcs
2 thumbs ginger, whole smashed
1 white onion, peeled and cut in quarters
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
½ bunch tanglad cleaned and tied into a knot
2 cups of coconut water
½ cup of coconut milk (optional for more flavor)
¼ cup young coconut meat
1 bunch dahoon nang sili cleaned and picked from stems
2 cups of long grained rice, cleaned and soaked for 10 minutes and then drain out water
1 big bowl of ice water
Note: Optional to serve in bowl made out of buco
For the Sauce:
1 pc bird’s eye chilies sliced thinly
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 pcs calamansi, juiced
2 slices ginger smashed
2 tbsp water
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cilantro leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
1. In a stock pot on medium heat, pour half of the vegetable oil in the pan and heat before sautéing in the garlic, onion, ginger until aromatic.
2. Add in the chicken pieces and a bit of coconut water so the meat and skin doesn’t stick to the pan. After about 2 minutes, add in the rest of the coconut water and the tanglad leaves and let simmer for about 7 – 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
3. Making sure that the pot is still on medium/ low heat, take the chicken out of the stock and shock it in ice water to stop cooking process. Take out the tanglad leaves and discard.
4. Take your bowl of cleaned and soaked rice and add it in the boiling stock.
5. Pour in the remaining vegetable oil and coconut milk and coconut meat and dahon nang sili and mix. Cover pot until rice is cooked.
6. For the sauce, mix all the ingredients together in a separate bowl.
7. Serve it with the rice at the bottom and the chicken on top garnished with cilantro with the sauce on the side.