PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 2 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes
1 can (400ml) fresh coconut milk
2 cups raw gabi or taro root, shredded
2 cups brown sugar
1 can (330ml) condensed milk
2 egg yolks
Wilted banana leaves
2 medium coconut shells, cleaned
string, for tying
1. Combine shredded Taro root, coconut milk and brown sugar.
2. Place the mixture in a pan and cook over medium heat for about 6 minutes while continuously stirring. Reduce heat and cook for 10 more minutes.
3. Add condensed milk and cook for another 20 minutes over low heat, stir continuously.
4. Fill the coconut shells with the cooked mixture. In the center, make a well and drop 1 raw egg yolk for each set. Cover top with the cooked Taro mixture and spread smoothly. Fill very close to the brim.
5. Use two layers of the wilted banana leaves to cover the filled coconut shells and use the strings to tie securely.
6. Steam for 30 minutes.