Makes 4 quesadillas
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
½ kilo beef camto (flank steak)
3 tablespoons cooking oil
6 cups water
3 pieces red onion, quartered
¼ cup garlic cloves, smashed
2 pieces bay leaf
½ tablespoon peppercorn
¼ cup red onion, minced
¼ cup white onion, minced
¼ cup garlic, minced
¼ cup ginger, grated
1 cup celery, sliced
2 pieces star anise
2 cups beef broth (from boiling beef)
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
1 pack tortilla wrapper
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup diagonally sliced leeks
1. Season beef camto with salt and pepper. Sear camto in a pan with cooking oil until all sides are well browned.
2. Place seared camto in a pressure cooker and add water, onion, garlic cloves, bay leaf, and peppercorn. Boil until tender. Set aside broth.
3. Shred camto with forks. Set aside.
4. In the pan where camto was seared, saute onions, garlic, ginger, celery, and star anise over low heat until soft, about a few minutes.
5. Deglaze pan with beef broth, add soy sauce, and brown sugar. bring to a boil and reduce by half.
6. Add back beef and continue cooking until thick and saucy. Set aside.
1. In a pan over medium-low heat, place tortilla and add a layer of cheddar cheese. Add a layer of pares, sprinkle some leeks and top with a bit more cheese and another tortilla.
2. Cook covered for 6 minutes until cheese is melted. Flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Serve hot with your choice of dip!