PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
¼ kilo pork belly
6 pieces garlic cloves, smashed skin on
2 pieces red onions, quartered
2 tablespoons peppercorns
1 whole banana blossom, sliced thinly
⅛ cup white vinegar
¼ cup cooking oil
10 pieces garlic cloves, smashed skin on
⅓ cup red onions, sliced
½ cup sayote, sliced into sticks
⅓ cup soy sauce
1½ cup pork broth
½ cup carrots, sliced into thin sticks
½ cup pechay tagalog, sliced into thirds
Salt to taste
1. Place the pork belly, quartered onions, garlic, peppercorns, and salt in a pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer until the pork is tender. Set aside pork and reserve the liquid.
2. Slice the banana blossom thinly and keep soaked in a bowl with about 1 1/2 cups water and add salt and 1/8 cup vinegar. Set aside.
3. In a pan over medium-high heat, place oil and fry the pork for a few minutes. Remove pork from the pan. Slice into cubes.
4. In the same pan, saute the garlic and onions until fragrant. Then add sayote, pork slices, and soy sauce then cook for a few more minutes. Add banana blossom to the pan and add the reserve pork broth. Cook covered for a few minutes, letting the liquid reduce and thicken.
5. Add the carrots and pechay tagalog and continue to cook for a few more minutes. Serve on a cut out squares of banana leaf.