PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes: 2 – 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 25 – 45 minutes
3 pcs garlic, peeled and minced
1 whole white onion, minced
1 pc bay leaf
1 big can mushrooms, minced
1 whole carrot peeled and minced
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp Italian seasoning
5 pcs tomatoes sliced into wedges
3 cups chicken stock
250 grams macaroni noodles, boiled for 5 minutes (until partially cooked)
4 – 6 pcs eggplants, cut in half horizontally and then cut vertically into thin strips
salt and pepper to taste
for the cheese topping:
1 cup quickmelt cheese, grated
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1 pc bay leaf
1 cup milk
Optional: 1 tsp onion powder and 1 cup mozzarella cheese
¼ cup water (if it gets too thick)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Place pot on medium heat, saute garlic and white onions and bay leaf and Italian seasoning and tomatoes until tomatoes are tender, about 5-6 minutes.
3. Add in the canned mushrooms and carrots saute for another 5 minutes before adding the tomato paste. Roast tomatoes for 5 minutes before adding the stock. Let simmer and reduce for 15 minutes or until flavors develop. Season with salt and pepper along the way.
4. In another pot, melt your butter add flour, (onion powder, if you have) until it creates a paste. Pour in milk drop the bay leaf and then using a wire whisk mix everything until it creates a smooth sauce. If it gets too thick add in the water. Gradually add the grated cheddar cheese while whisking the sauce and season with salt and pepper. (If you have grated mozzarella, save for later.)
5. To assemble, get a small ovenproof container, pour a little bit of the tomato sauce and cheese sauce at the bottom. Start making a layer of the macaroni, eggplants, tomato sauce, cheese sauce, and drizzle with mozzarella. Repeat until you’ve created layers that fill up the whole pyrex. Let roast in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes or until cheese bubbles.