PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour & 30 minutes
½ kilo pork belly (liempo)
1 teaspoon salt
2 pieces bay leaves
5 cups water
7 cups oil
Oil, for frying
15 pieces calamansi, juiced
2 teaspoons patis
1 piece labuyo
½ tablespoon brown sugar
½ tablespoon alamang
4 bundles mustard leaves
4 pieces tomatoes, small, sliced thin
1 piece red onion, sliced and blanched
¼ kilo bagnet
2 pieces boiled eggs, sliced
1. Rinse the pork belly well a few times. Rub with salt, massaging thoroughly.
2. In a pot over medium heat, place pork, bay leaves, and enough water to cover everything. Boil for 1-2 hours. Remove pork belly.
3. In another pot, combine water and oil and heat over medium-low heat. Place pork belly into the oil and cook for 3 hours. Remove pork to drain.
4. Drain pork belly thoroughly of excess water. Air dry for a few hours.
5. Cut bagnet into slices. In a pan over medium-high heat, fry the bagnet slices for about a minute until crispy.
1. Pound the siling labuyo, sugar, and alamang into a coarse paste. Transfer to a bowl and mix in patis and calamansi juice. Set aside.
1. Layer and spread the mustard leaves, sliced tomatoes, and sliced onions in a serving dish. Place bagnet slices and egg slices. Drizzle with dressing.