Makes 2 to 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes
Cooking oil for pan frying
1 clove garlic, minced
300 grams chicken breast, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
1/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoon peppercorn
1 piece bay leaf
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons patis
1/2 thumb sized ginger
1 piece white part of the lemon grass, grated
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 pieces garlic cloves
1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 small piece red onion
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1 piece siling labuyo, sliced
80 grams vermicelli noodles, boiled and strained
1/4 cup stir fried cubed tofu
1/4 cup stir fried bean sprouts
1. Heat cooking oil in a pan over medium heat. Saute garlic until golden.
2. Add the chicken and saute until meat turns white.
3. Mix in the soy sauce and coat the chicken pieces. Add the vinegar, bay leaf, peppercorn, and water and simmer until acidity evaporates.
4. Mix in the coconut milk until incorporated.
5. Separate the chicken from the soup (do not discard). Shred the chicken and set aside.
1. In a blender or food processor, blend the ingredients until very smooth. Set aside.
1. Heat oil in a wok or deep pan over medium-low. Saute the onion on low heat until translucent and slightly caramelized. Add the laksa paste.
2. Pour in the chicken stock, adobo sauce, and sugar. Let it simmer and slightly reduce.
3. Mix in the cilantro leaves and siling labuyo. Remove from heat.
1. In a serving bowl, arrange the shredded chicken, vermicelli noodles, cilantro leaves, tofu, and bean sprouts. Pour the soup. Serve hot.