PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes about 20 pieces
Preparation and cooking time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
3 cups glutinous rice, soaked in 2 cups water for 1 hour
3 discs tablea
1 cup hot water
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup white sugar
1/8 cup desiccated coconut
Sliced ripe mango
1. Boil water and dissolve tablea. Mix for about 5 minutes until desired thickness is attained.
2. Using a wire whisk, whisk in the coconut milk and white sugar. Whisk until frothy. Set aside about 1/4 cup for garnish. Set the rest aside as well.
3. Ready a deep pan and add the rice. Add the tablea mixture. Mix and turn on the heat to medium-low.
4. Allow to boil until liquid has evaporated and rice is half cooked. Add water 1/2 cup at a time if the rice is still uncooked. Set aside to cool.
5. Heat banana leaves cut into squares over a stove top until they turn bright and shiny.
6. Add about 2 tablespoons of suman into a leaf. Roll and seal the edges.
7. Place the suman wraps in a deep pan until crowded and tight. Add enough water to cover the suman pieces. Let it simmer for an hour.
8. Serve with the tablea sauce, desiccated coconut, and ripe mango slices.