PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 5 to 6 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 4 hours and 30 minutes (3 hours marinade time)
1 tablespoon patis
1 tablespoon calamansi juice
½ teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 piece siling labuyo, chopped
1 whole chicken, butterflied
Kare Kare Sauce:
1/3 cup rice, toasted
2 cups peanuts, skin removed and fried
¼ cup cooking oil
1/8 cup atsuete seeds
¼ cup onion, chopped
1/8 cup garlic, chopped
3 cups water
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon bagoong
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cooking oil for grill
1 cup eggplant, sliced lengthwise
1 cup string beans, knotted
3 pieces green sili
1. In a bowl, mix all marinade ingredients, except the chicken, until sugar is well-dissolved.
2. Rub mixture all over butterflied chicken and marinade for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
Kare Kare Sauce:
1. Using a mortar and pestle, grind toasted rice until it becomes a powder. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, toss in peanuts and blend until chunky. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan with heated oil, add atsuete seeds. Once the oil turns reddish in color, strain the atsuete seeds from the pan.
4. Saute onion and garlic in atsuete oil until fragrant.
5. Pour water, chicken broth, and blended peanuts.
6. Stir in peanut butter.
7. Carefully add in the powdered rice to the pan and mix until well incorporated. Add sugar and bagoong and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
1. In a pre-heated grill greased with cooking oil, carefully press marinated chicken (skin side up) as flat on the grill as possible. Grill chicken until fat is rendered, meat has lightly browned, and the chicken legs and thighs are cooked through. Baste with kare-kare sauce as you grill.
2. Turnover chicken, skin side down on the grill until skin is crispy. Continue basting with kare-kare sauce.
3. Once cooked through, set aside grilled chicken and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
4. Grill eggplants, string beans, and green sili and baste with cooking oil, until vegetables have brown marks.
5. Carve chicken and serve hot on a plate with grilled vegetables. Enjoy!