PRINT THIS RECIPE
Makes 4 servings
Preparation and cooking time: 2 hours
1/2 kilo beef shank
1 piece small sized onion, quartered
Salt to taste
7 cups water
Cooking oil for sauteing
1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 piece small sized onion, chopped
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup brown sugar
2 pieces star anise
1 teaspoon ground pepper
5 cups water
1 piece beef broth cube
400 grams egg noodles
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1 cup Chinese cabbage, shredded
4 pieces hard boiled eggs
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a pot, place 7 cups of water, beef shank, 1 piece quartered onion, and salt. Let it boil until the beef is tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
2. Separate the beef from the stock. Set aside the stock. Slice the beef into strips.
3. Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Saute the ginger, garlic, and onion until ginger is fragrant, garlic is light brown, and onion is translucent.
4. Add the beef and saute. Mix in the soy sauce, brown sugar, star anise, pepper, and 1 1/2 cups of stock. Let it simmer.
5. Remove the beef and set aside.
6. Mix in 5 cups of water and beef broth cube. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Cook the lomi noodles in the broth. Remove and set aside.
8. In four serving bowls, assemble the noodles, meat, green onions, cabbage, and hard boiled eggs. Pour the broth equally. Serve with burnt slices of red onions.